Title: Instructor - CDL
Salary Range: $45,000.00
Contract Term Length: 12 Months (Start date is January 1, 2023)
Work Location: On-Site
FLSA Status: Exempt
College: Somerset Community College
Campus Location: London, KY
Department: Workforce Solutions
Somerset Community College offers a competitive benefits package and an attractive work environment that supports excellence, innovation, and creativity including:
Somerset Community and Technical College is accepting applications for a full-time Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Instructor. This position will be responsible for Class-A CDL range and road instruction, monitoring and documenting student progress and attendance, recruiting of students, and overall program coordination at the Laurel Campus.
Provide overall CDL program coordination at the Laurel Campus, including but not limited to:
• Provide exemplary instruction on the range and over the road so that the students are well educated and able to pass their written CDL-A permit test, as well as their pre-trip, skills and road tests.
• Continually evaluate student performance and document their progress through attendance forms and checklists. Post grades in PeopleSoft.
• Monitor student progress, identify any gaps and provide additional tutoring as needed throughout the entire training session.
• Complete annual program reviews, annual planning and budgeting in Compliance Assist
• Develop adjunct schedules and complete required payroll documents.
• Recruit and hire adjunct CDL instructors as needed.
• Emphasize safety concepts, principles and procedures.
• Develop a strong working relationship with regional trucking companies to establish a CDL Advisory Committee and conduct annual meetings, or more often if required. Adjust program curriculum to align with the needs of industry.
• Schedule on-site interviews with regional trucking companies at the end of each class to assist students in obtaining employment.
• Assist with recruitment of students for each CDL class.
• Track program expenditures/manage CDL budget.
• Ensure the trucks are safe, clean and well maintained before each class session.
• Coordinate repairs with SCC Diesel Department or third party repair shop.
• Purchase supplies, materials, and consumables for each class. Complete required paperwork and submit to administrative assistant.
• Need strong interpersonal and computing skills, especially in Microsoft Office and ability to learn PeopleSoft and other software programs as required.
• Stay current of state and federal rules and regulations. Attend professional development training as required.
Associate degree or equivalent experience. Demonstrated competencies in commercial transportation. Must hold a valid Kentucky Class A Commercial Driver’s License. Must have two years over-the-road CDL driving experience.
All of the above, plus in-depth knowledge of and superb ability to teach every aspect of truck driving. Preference will be given to applicants with experience as a classroom, road and range Class A CDL instructor. Prefer a minimum of four (4) years over-the-road CDL driving experience.
Thank you for sharing!
KCTCS is an equal opportunity employer and educational institution.
KCTCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs or activities.