Title: Peer-Tutor "Students Only"
Salary Range: 10.00/hour
Contract Term Length: Not Applicable
Standard Hours: 10 hours per week
Work Location: Hybrid
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
College: Gateway Community & Technical College
Campus Location: Gateway Edgewood Campus
Department: Student Affairs
Peer tutors work with other students in a variety of formats on course content, including help with homework assignments, and preparing for tests and quizzes, with a special concentration on learning the basic skills needed to master course content. It is the goal of the tutor to assist students in developing the learning skills necessary to master the academic subject matter. Tutors may work in a variety of ways, including embedded within a class, open walk-in times, and online tutoring. The tutor will work one-on-one or with a small group of students and document their interactions. Peer tutors will also be asked to create and facilitate success workshops covering topics related to their tutoring field dependent on the courses that relate to their subject area.
Peer tutors may work one-on-one with students, or in a group setting. Peer tutors may also be asked to facilitate success workshops covering such topics as study skills, test-taking skills, goal setting, and time management.
Work hours (shift) will be: various Number of hours per week: maximum of 15
This position will be 80% online, with 20% of work on campus - safe at-work guidelines must be followed.
May work at various campus and center locations.
• Engage in and maintain prompt communication with the coordinator and team
• Maintain a positive and welcoming attitude with students, regardless of their frustrations and/or demeanor
• Be on time, present, and prepared for every scheduled tutoring session
• Exhibit signs of active listening
• Promote success and give positive encouragement to students for objectives reached
• Maintain confidential relationships between tutor and student
• Respect and abide by the Gateway Student Code of Conduct at all times
• Remain professional at all times, exhibiting professional dress standards and professionalism with technology
• Use resources and refer when necessary
• Consult with the Coordinator on difficult students’ progress and any reportable circumstances
• Participate in all training sessions and required professional development
• Reach out to students referred to tutoring
• Report accurately all hours worked on the appropriate electronic payroll forms and submit by deadlines (15th and 30th of each month).
• Other duties as assigned
Thank you for sharing!
Not the right job for you? Check out these other recently posted jobs!
KCTCS is an equal opportunity employer and educational institution.
KCTCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs or activities.